Skip to main content

Clarity

               
"The wilderness had a clarity that included me"
-Cheryl Strayed, Wild

Lately, I've made some dramatic changes in my life. The first change I decided to make was quitting social media. I believe that social media has both positive and negative effects. For me personally, it was detrimental to my self-esteem because I couldn't stop comparing my life to others.

 Since, I have quit every platform except Snapchat, my life has become more peaceful, my self-esteem has increased, and I am able to be more productive. The second change I decided to make was to quit smoking weed. Marijuana is a wonderful herb with medicinal properties, but since I was smoking it habitually- I believe that I was using it to distract myself from my priorities and feelings.

The last change I've made is to read and be in nature more. Reading other people's stories always offers me hope and inspiration, and nature is healing. These changes have all brought me out of the darkness I was in less than two weeks ago. Less than two weeks ago, I had reached my breaking point and was seriously concerned about my mental state. I'm not suggesting that these changes are the direct link to happiness, because there is no direct link to happiness. However, I would recommend taking a break from all outside sources and diving deep into your own soul to find what truly makes you happy.

When we connect with our deepest emotions and accept who we truly are there is nothing in the world that we cannot conquer because we will always have our own backs. I challenge you to be your own best friend and love yourself unconditionally, because only then will you find the clarity you've been seeking.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Pretend

*A story I wrote for my college Sophomore English Creative Fiction Class - My first ever attempt at writing fiction* Let’s Pretend I often wonder what life would have been like if everything went according to plan. That’s the thrill about life I suppose, that one can never expect the unexpected. I try to believe in the philosophy that everything happens for a reason, but on this winter day a blanket of nostalgia wraps around me, and reminds me of his warmth. ♢ I’ll never forget the first time I met eyes with him, I drowned in those luminous blue pools. I was only six and he was eight, but his front left tooth was missing so he looked younger. At first, he didn’t want anything to do with me. He probably wouldn’t remember, but when my ball first rolled into his yard he kicked it back so aggressively he only missed my head by a hair. It wasn’t until I walked up to ask if he wanted to play that his face softened and my heart dove into those eyes. It was a brisk Autumn day, bu...

Story Time: Goodwill

"but what if it doesn't come true?" "Ah, but what if it does!" My entire life I've been an avid thrift shopper. A lot of people don't like to have to hunt to find clothes they like, but for me- that's all apart of the fun. Some people like the risk of gambling at casinos, some with stocks, but my gamble is whether or not I can find what I want for under $20 at a thrift shop. For instance, for the longest time I was searching for a bomber style jacket that could keep me warm during the blistering winter in Flagstaff, AZ. I searched high and low at retail stores but couldn't justify spending $60+ on something that I didn't LOVE. You know what they say, when you know- you know . Anyway, nothing at the mall spoke to me, so I wandered over to Goodwill.  I hoped that they would have the jacket of my dreams, and sure enough in the "Men's" section I found the leather, warm, and cozy jacket I had been searching for. Of course, i...

The Garden

I am whole I am complete I have found peace I've always considered myself an outgoing person. I don't enjoy being the center of attention, but I do enjoy striking up conversations with strangers and soaking up the joy of kindness and solidarity. Although, lately I find myself glancing down when strangers smile at me, or I awkwardly put an end to a spontaneous conversation. I just haven't felt comfortable in my own skin lately.  I mentioned in my "Clarity" blog post the positive changes I've recently made in my life. Along with those, another change I've been trying to implement into my daily routine is positive affirmations. I noticed that my mind has a lot to say, and a lot of what it says is garbage. I want my mind to be less like garbage, and more like a garden.  I'll plant seeds of gratitude, positivity, and light and nourish them with affirmations and self-love. I only want to introduce my garden to things that will make it ...