Skip to main content

Ron Hughart


"Everything will work out and there will be more good days than bad ones"

I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately, mostly self-help kind of books. Although, out of all the proclaimed "self-help" books I've read, nothing has pulled at my heart strings like this autobiography.

Ron Hughart is an amazingly inspirational person because of the trials and tribulations he has overcome. His autobiography includes his journey of living in a migrant family during the 1940's just after the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. This book has deeply shifted my perspective on life and has made me grateful for every blessing.

To name a few are: having carpet on the floor, a bed to sleep in, clean clothes and water, and food in my belly. I believe this book should be apart of the English curriculum in schools because it is inspiring to everyone, especially migrant families. Hughart represents children whose parents are constantly moving in search for employment and how moving can be damaging to student's learning abilities. In his autobiography, Hughart constantly references a teacher's comment about Ron being "retarded" and how this was detrimental to his self-esteem. This book speaks volumes about self-worth, depression, and being grateful for every small blessing. I finished this book in less than one day because it's a riveting page turner. Ron Hughart will forever be one of the most inspirational people in my life because of the strength, kindness, and perseverance he maintained during the hardest times in his life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Pretend

*A story I wrote for my college Sophomore English Creative Fiction Class - My first ever attempt at writing fiction* Let’s Pretend I often wonder what life would have been like if everything went according to plan. That’s the thrill about life I suppose, that one can never expect the unexpected. I try to believe in the philosophy that everything happens for a reason, but on this winter day a blanket of nostalgia wraps around me, and reminds me of his warmth. ♢ I’ll never forget the first time I met eyes with him, I drowned in those luminous blue pools. I was only six and he was eight, but his front left tooth was missing so he looked younger. At first, he didn’t want anything to do with me. He probably wouldn’t remember, but when my ball first rolled into his yard he kicked it back so aggressively he only missed my head by a hair. It wasn’t until I walked up to ask if he wanted to play that his face softened and my heart dove into those eyes. It was a brisk Autumn day, bu...

Story Time: Goodwill

"but what if it doesn't come true?" "Ah, but what if it does!" My entire life I've been an avid thrift shopper. A lot of people don't like to have to hunt to find clothes they like, but for me- that's all apart of the fun. Some people like the risk of gambling at casinos, some with stocks, but my gamble is whether or not I can find what I want for under $20 at a thrift shop. For instance, for the longest time I was searching for a bomber style jacket that could keep me warm during the blistering winter in Flagstaff, AZ. I searched high and low at retail stores but couldn't justify spending $60+ on something that I didn't LOVE. You know what they say, when you know- you know . Anyway, nothing at the mall spoke to me, so I wandered over to Goodwill.  I hoped that they would have the jacket of my dreams, and sure enough in the "Men's" section I found the leather, warm, and cozy jacket I had been searching for. Of course, i...

The Garden

I am whole I am complete I have found peace I've always considered myself an outgoing person. I don't enjoy being the center of attention, but I do enjoy striking up conversations with strangers and soaking up the joy of kindness and solidarity. Although, lately I find myself glancing down when strangers smile at me, or I awkwardly put an end to a spontaneous conversation. I just haven't felt comfortable in my own skin lately.  I mentioned in my "Clarity" blog post the positive changes I've recently made in my life. Along with those, another change I've been trying to implement into my daily routine is positive affirmations. I noticed that my mind has a lot to say, and a lot of what it says is garbage. I want my mind to be less like garbage, and more like a garden.  I'll plant seeds of gratitude, positivity, and light and nourish them with affirmations and self-love. I only want to introduce my garden to things that will make it ...